Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Moon Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Hiking, Camping, Scenic Drives
By Jason Frye
Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $17.99 $22.99 CAD
- ebook $12.99 $16.99 CAD
Also available from:
- Flexible itineraries: Unique and adventure-packed ideas ranging from one day in the park to a week-long trip
- The best hikes in the Great Smokies: Detailed hike descriptions with mileage, duration, elevation gains, and difficulty ratings, plus individual trail maps and options for backpackers
- Experience the outdoors: Cruise along Newfound Gap Road for epic views from scenic overlooks and watch "smoky" mists rise up through the valleys. Spot local wildlife like 700-pound elk, black bears, and vast herds of white-tailed deer. Savor the refreshing solitude of a night camping under the stars or enjoy a twinkling light show from Elkmont's synchronous fireflies. Trek a segment of the Appalachian Trail, wander through remnants of the region's historic settlements, or try your hand at fly-fishing
- Take a break: Unwind after a day of adventure at one of the trendy craft breweries that earned Asheville the title of "Beer City USA." Head to Dollywood for square-dancing, catching a show, or gliding down the lazy river at Splash Country. Soak in the sweet sounds of Tennessee's music scene, sample some fiery moonshine, or shop for Appalachian folk art
- How to get there: Up-to-date information on gateway towns, park entrances, and tours
- Where to stay: Campgrounds, resorts, and more, both inside and outside the park
- Helpful resources on Covid-19 and traveling to Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Planning tips: When to go, what to pack, safety information, and how to avoid the crowds, with full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Expertise and know-how: Explore the park with nature lover and Smoky Mountains expert Jason Frye
Hitting more of North America's national parks? Check out Moon USA National Parks. Road-tripping? Try Moon Drive & Hike Appalachian Trail or Moon Blue Ridge Parkway Road Trip.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
- "Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
- “The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
- "Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
- "Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
- "Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
- "Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times
- On Sale
- Sep 6, 2022
- Page Count
- 240 pages
- Moon Travel