Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Speaking at Travel Writer Conference in Riviera Maya, Mexico
Last weekend, I spoke to the Society of American Travel Writers Freelance Council in the Riviera Maya, Mexico, as part of the professional development portion of the meeting. It was an honor to speak to such an experienced, savvy group of travel writers, right in the heart of the Mundo Maya -- I shared a few "how to" tips for writing about the region (style: "Maya" vs. "Mayan," how Mexico Tourism prefers the phrase "archaeological site" to "ruins", etc.); I also discussed the travel writing industry as a whole, specifically the sub-markets where writers can still make money.
The conference was based at the stunning Grand Velas Riviera Maya Resort, where the above photo was taken by Playa del Carmen–based photographer Hans Reinhard, author of a gorgeous coffee table tome called Riviera Maya. Our group also visited several cenotes and attended a Maya fire ceremony on the beach at Hacienda Tres Rios, where we all focused our positive thoughts and energy on the next era of man to come, beyond 2012.
Thanks again to all the conference hosts and organizers, especially the Riviera Maya, a fantastic place to travel in 2012 and beyond.