To the east of Delaware Park  stands the 1904 Darwin D. Martin House (175 Jewett Pkwy., at Summit Ave., 716/856-3858, www.darwinmartinhouse.org , tours available), one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s most important works. The long, horizontal building with its wide porches and few enclosed spaces is characteristic of the architect’s early Prairie style.
The pergola, carriage house, and conservatory have been brought back to life due to an inspirational restoration and recreation, much of it completed through the help of volunteers with a love of the master architect’s work.
The new Eleanor and Wilson Greatbatch Pavilion, designed by Toshiko Mori Architect, functions as the welcome center and starting point for all tours of the Martin House. Check out the special tour packages, such as a combo tour of the Martin House, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fontana Rowing Boathouse, followed by lunch at the Buffalo Yacht Club.
Tours of the Martin House and the nearby Barton House (also designed by Wright) are offered in a variety of options ($15–40), depending on depth of interest. See the website for a complete schedule of the tour offerings.