233 S. Brevard St., Charlotte
The history of the three-story brick Mecklenburg Investment Company Building is much more impressive than its architecture. Built in 1922, it was the first building in Charlotte  that was planned and built by African Americans.
At the time, South Brevard Street between Third and Fourth Streets was the center of commerce for the African-American community. Construction of the building cost just $28,000 and the mortgage was paid off after 10 years.
The building was designed to accommodate African American–owned businesses, professional offices, and civic fraternal organizations. It accommodated six stores on the 1st floor and a total of 20 offices on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Upon its completion, it became the professional home of doctors, dentists, and lawyers, and also housed Yancey’s Drug Store, the Savoy Inn, and several of Charlotte’s black Masonic Lodges. It’s used as an office building to this day.