1. Travel with a spirit of humility and a genuine desire to meet and talk with local people.
2. Be aware of the feelings of others. Act respectfully and avoid offensive behavior.
3. Cultivate the habit of actively listening and observing rather than merely hearing and seeing. Avoid the temptation to know all the answers.
4. Realize that others may have concepts of time, and attitudes that are different–not inferior–to those you inherited from your own culture.
5. Instead of looking only for the exotic, discover the richness of another culture and way of life. Learn local customs and respect them.
6. Remember that you are only one of many visitors. Do not expect special privileges.
7. When bargaining with merchants don't take advantage of the poor. Pay a fair price.
8. Keep your promises to people you meet. If you cannot, do not make the promise.
9. Spend time each day reflecting on your experiences in order to deepen your understanding. Is your enrichment beneficial for all involved?
10. Be aware of why you are traveling in the first place. If you truly want a home away from home, why travel?