Near the Templo de Santo Domingo  is the Templo de Caridad (Av. General Utrilla near Comitán), which was founded in 1712. It was once part of the San Juan de Dios convent and hospital (the latter, the first hospital in San Cristóbal  dedicated to treating indigenous people).
Today only the church remains; it is forever linked to the Zendal rebellion of 1712, which was sparked when church leaders demanded excessive contributions from the indigenous population to fund the temple’s construction.
The building itself is reminiscent of its counterpart in Antigua, Guatemala , save for the use of columns on the towers. The highlight of the church, however, is the spectacular Solomonic altarpiece. It is dedicated to the Virgin of Charity and is considered the special protector of the city.