The tabby Stoney-Baynard Ruins (Plantation Dr., dawn–dusk, free) in Sea Pines are what remains of the circa-1790 central building of the old Braddock’s Point Plantation, first owned by Patriot and raconteur Captain “Saucy Jack” Stoney and then the Baynard family.
Active during Hilton Head Island ’s heyday as a cotton center, the plantation was destroyed after the Civil War. Site interpretation here is barebones, but suffice it to say that this is a great remaining example of colonial tabby architecture.
Two other foundations are nearby, one for slave quarters and one whose use is still unknown. Note that there is that $5 fee to enter Sea Pines.