Moravians first established a mission at this site (then called Estate Niesky) 1.5 miles west of Charlotte Amalie  in 1755. Church buildings were destroyed by hurricane or fire in 1819, 1771, 1867, 1871, and, finally, 1971. But each time the church was rebuilt on the same foundation. Today, the Estate Nisky Moravian Church (6 Estate Nisky, 340/774-2809) consists of a manse, church, cemetery, and several outbuildings, including former slave cabins. It is still a working church and school.