3100 Swan Dr., Druid Hill Park, 410/396-0180
HOURS: Tues.–Sun. 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Located in Druid Hill Park, this is the last remaining example of Baltimore’s  public conservatories, which once adorned many of the city’s parks. The historic, Victorian-era complex includes two buildings from 1888 (the Palm House and the Orchid Room), as well as three newer buildings from the 20th century. Each of the five buildings is home to a distinct type of flora, representing five different climate types (Mediterranean, tropical, and desert join the palms and orchids of the original structures).
There are also abundant outdoor gardens perfect for spring strolls, and several flower shows are held throughout the year. The five-story Palm House is the centerpiece of the conservatory; huge palm trees fill the grand and graceful glass dome, designed by the same architect who designed City Hall.