412 Pine St., 215/925-8051
HOURS: Mon.–Sat. 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 9 a.m.–noon, call ahead
Old Pine became known as the “Church of the Patriots” because so many of its parishioners, including John Adams, were strong supporters of the Revolution. It was the third Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia , but is the oldest one standing today.
The pale-yellow church blends into its tranquil surroundings despite its impressive size and imposing iron fence.
Established in 1768, it stands on its original foundation and has its original brick walls, but was expanded twice during the 19th century. The church was almost destroyed after the British occupied it and used it as a hospital during the Revolutionary War, burning many of the pews for warmth during the cold winter.
The stately Corinthian columns were added in 1830; behind the giant doors a bi-level sanctuary is lined with dark-red carpeting. The shaded graveyard holds more than 3,000 early Philadelphians, including at least 50 Revolutionary War soldiers; the site inspires many ghost stories.
No formal tours are offered, but Old Pine welcomes visitors to come in and look around.