The only complete row of restored Army officers’ homes in the nation is at Vancouver’s  Officers’ Row National Historic District. The homes occupy one side of a tree-shaded street and are now used by local businesses; opposite is spacious Central Park—a favorite place for locals to relax on a sunny day. Find here an old Army cemetery with the graves of around 1,400 soldiers, including four Medal of Honor recipients.
The two most famous buildings on Officers’ Row are houses named for General George C. Marshall and President Ulysses S. Grant. The Marshall House (1313 Officers’ Row, 360/693-3103, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon.–Fri., and 11 a.m.–6 p.m. Sat.–Sun. if no weddings are scheduled) is open for free tours and has videotapes describing the fort and Officers’ Row. The building is very popular for weddings and other events, so it is often closed to the public on weekends. Named for the man who authored the famous post-WWII Marshall Plan, it was George C. Marshall’s home during his time as commanding officer at Vancouver Barracks  1936–1938.
Built in 1849, The Grant House is the oldest remaining building on Officer’s Row. This stately home was built as the commanding officer’s residence and is now home to The Restaurant at Historic Reserve (360/906-1101). While President Grant never actually lived in the house, he was a frequent visitor during his time as the post’s quartermaster in the 1850s.