Old Fort Townsend State Park (4 mi. south of town, 360/385-3595) has campsites and seven miles of hiking trails through tall firs, sloping down to a 150-foot cliff along Port Townsend Bay. The 377-acre park is open mid-April to mid-September only.
A fort was established here in 1856 to guard against possible American Indian attacks. The fort was used during World War II as an enemy munitions defusing station. In 1958 it was turned over to the State Parks Commission.
A short self-guided historical walk starts at the display board near the park entrance.