What little there is to see in Guantánamo  surrounds the attractive Parque Martí with a beautifully restored church—Iglesia Parroquial de Santa Catalina—on the north side; note its impressive alfarje ceiling. A monument of José Martí is on the west side of the church.
Built in Parisian fashion and topped by a cupola—La Fama—bearing a herald with trumpet, the exquisite turn-of-the-century Palacio Salcido one block northwest of Parque Martí houses the Museo de Artes Decorativos (Pedro Pérez #804, esq. Prado, tel. 021/32-4407), displaying period furniture, vases, and more. It was closed for a lengthy restoration at last visit.
One block west, the small but impressive Museo Provincial (Martí #804, tel. 021/32-5872, Mon. 2–5 p.m., Tues.–Sat. 8:30 a.m.–noon and 2:30–5 p.m., CUC1) dates from 1862 and was once a prison. It has exhibits on pre-Columbian culture and natural history; cigar bands; and coins; plus a bas-relief map of the U.S. Naval Base  and Cuban defense system. A 1940s-era Harley-Davidson in the lobby belonged to a revolutionary messenger, Capitán Asdrúbal.
The pink neoclassical Plaza del Mercado (Antonio Maceo, esq. Prado), two blocks northeast of Parque Martí, still houses an agricultural market.