Plaza Honorato del Castillo, at the junction of Calle Jesús Menéndez and Honorato, is a diminutive plaza honoring a local general in the War of Independence, but is pinned by a statue of Rudesindo Antonio García Rojo, an eminent doctor.
On Plaza Honorato del Castillo’s south side, the Parroquial Mayor del Espíritu Santo (Agramonte Oeste #58, tel. 041/32-4855, Tues.–Sat. 9–11 a.m. and 2–5 p.m.) is well preserved. The church dates from 1680, though the triple-tiered bell tower and cupola are later additions. Relatively austere, it has minimal gilt work and an unimpressive altar, although the ornately carved roof features dropped gables carved and fitted in cross patterns and supporting a circular center.
The Farmacia de Medicinas Verdes (Máximo Gómez #38, tel. 041/32-4101, Mon.–Fri. 8 a.m.–noon and 2–6 p.m., Sat. 8 a.m.–noon), on the west side of the plaza, is full of old apothecary jars.
One block southwest of the cathedral, the ornate Palacio del Valle, which belonged to one of the wealthiest families in Cuba, houses the Museo de Arte Colonial (Plácido Sur #64, esq. Jesús Menéndez, tel. 041/32-5455, Tues.–Sat. 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 8 a.m.–noon, CUC2 entrance, CUC1 camera), furnished with period decor.