Calle San Ignacio leads 50 meters south from Plaza de la Catedral  to Calle Obispo. On the southeast corner of the junction, the Edificio Santo Domingo—a looming contemporary building faced in glass—occupies the site of the early Convento de Santo Domingo, which between 1727 and 1902 housed the original University of Havana.
The building was remodeled in eye-pleasing fashion, with a replica of the original baroque doorway and a bell tower containing the original bell that once tolled students to class.
The building today houses offices of the current university. On the ground floor, the Museo de la Universidad (no tel., Tues.–Sat. 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 9:30 a.m.–1 p.m.) displays a model of the original structure plus miscellany related to the early university.