Take a left out of Bonaventure Cemetery  and continue on Bonaventure Road to find yourself in the little fishing village of Thunderbolt, almost as old as Savannah  itself. According to Oglethorpe, the town was named after “a rock which was here shattered by a thunderbolt, causing a spring to gush from the ground, which continued ever afterward to emit the odor of brimstone.”
Just off Victory Drive is the Thunderbolt Museum (at the corner of Victory Dr. and Mechanics Ave., Wed.–Thurs. 9:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m., Sat. 1–5 p.m., free) housed in the humble former town hall. Cross Victory onto River Road and notice how the road is built around the live oak tree in the middle of it. Though most of the nice views of the river have been obscured by high-rise condos, there’s a cute public fishing pier.
Continue on River Road and you’ll soon be at the entrance to Savannah State University (3219 College St., 912/356-2186, www.savannahstate.edu ). This historically black university began life in 1890 as the Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth. Famous graduates include NFL great Shannon Sharpe. The main landmark is the newly restored Hill Hall, a 1901 building featured in the film The General’s Daughter.