Walk directly east of Johnson Square  to find yourself at Reynolds Square, named for John Reynolds, the first (and exceedingly unpopular) royal governor of Georgia. First called “Lower New Square,” Reynolds originally served as site of the “filature,” or cocoon storage warehouse, during the fledgling colony’s ill-fated flirtation with the silk industry (a federal building now occupies the site).
As with Johnson Square, the monument in Reynolds Square has nothing to do with its namesake, but is instead a likeness of John Wesley dedicated in 1969 near the spot believed to have been his home. On the northeast corner of the square is the parish house of Christ Church, Wesley’s congregation during his stay in Savannah .
A Reynolds Square landmark, the Olde Pink House (23 Abercorn St.), is not only one of Savannah’s most romantic restaurants but quite a historic site as well. It’s the oldest Savannah mansion from the 18th century still extant, as well as the first place in Savannah where the Declaration of Independence was read aloud.
Pink inside as well as out, the Georgian mansion was built in 1771 for rice planter James Habersham Jr., one of America’s richest men at the time, and a member of the notorious “Liberty Boys” who plotted revolution. The building’s pink exterior was a matter of serendipity, resulting from its core redbrick seeping through the formerly white stucco outer covering.
At the southwest corner of Reynolds Square is the understated Oliver Sturgis House (27 Abercorn St.), former home of the partner with William Scarbrough in the launching of the SS Savannah. This is one of the few Savannah  buildings to feature the stabilizing earthquake rods which are much more common in Charleston . Don’t miss the dolphin downpour spouts at ground level.
The other major Savannah landmark on Reynolds Square is the Lucas Theatre for the Arts (32 Abercorn St., 912/525-5040, www.lucastheatre.com ). Built in 1921 as part of Arthur Lucas’ regional chain of movie houses, the Lucas also featured a stage for road shows.
Ornate and stately but with cozy warmth to spare, the venue was a hit with Savannahians for four decades, until the advent of TV and residential flight from downtown led to financial disaster. In 1976, the Lucas closed after a screening of The Exorcist. Several attempts to revive the venue followed, including a comedy club in the ’80s, but to no avail.
When the building faced demolition in 1986, a group of citizens created a nonprofit to save it. Despite numerous starts and stops, the 14-year campaign finally paid off in a grand reopening in December 2000, an event helped immeasurably by timely donations from Midnight star Kevin Spacey and the cast and crew of the locally shot Forrest Gump.
Administered by a public/private partnership between local taxpayers and the Savannah College of Art and Design, the Lucas now hosts world-class entertainment and civic events year-round. The theater’s schedule stays pretty busy, so it should be easy to check out a show while you’re in town.
Once inside, be sure to check out the extensive gold-leaf work throughout the interior, all painstakingly done by hand.