The Days of ’76 Museum (17 Crescent St., 605/578-2872, www.daysof76.com , mid-Apr.–mid-Oct. daily 9 a.m.–5 p.m., closed in winter, admission by donation) is an offshoot of the Days of ’76 Rodeo  and parade that started in 1923 to honor the memory of the wild days of the gold rush, and the founding of Deadwood  in 1876.
The museum started out housing many of the horseless vehicles that were in the original rodeo parade, including one of the original Deadwood Stages and has continued to add to that collection. Photographs and artifacts from more than 80 years of the Days of ’76 Rodeo comprise another of the museum’s major collections.
The crown jewel of the museum’s displays, however, is the Clowser collection. Don Clowser first came to Deadwood in 1926 when he was just 12 years old. Clowser became an avid collector of historic artifacts and Native American art, and eventually ran the Deadwood Trading Post. His personal collection included thousands of pioneer, mining, and Native American artifacts from more than tribes.
A member of the Days of ’76 committee for 35 years, Clowser asked if the organization would be interested in housing his collection. The response was an enthusiastic yes. Some of the artifacts are priceless and some are just interesting, but all of them contribute to the preservation of the history and culture of the region.