Mitchell International Airport
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
Mitchell International Airport has its Mitchell Gallery of Flight (5300 S. Howell Ave., 414/747-4503, www.mitchellgallery.org, 8 a.m.– 10 p.m. daily, free) housing a number of aircraft, including a zeppelin. More appealing is the retrospective of the iconoclastic and innovative military aviation pioneer Billy Mitchell, a Beer City native.
Speaking of the airport, a unique, free way to kill time waiting for your plane to depart is to drive your rental car along Layton Avenue to near South Kansas Avenue (the north side of Mitchell International Airport). You’ll find a small, relatively unknown viewing area to watch planes take off and land.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition