- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
For the most one-of-a-kind fry anywhere, head for
American Serbian Hall (53rd and Oklahoma, 414/545-6030, $10), recognized as the largest in the nation. On Friday night, this hall serves more than a ton of Icelandic-style or Serbian baked fish to more than 2,500 people (make that two tons on Good Friday).
The operation got so big that a drive-through has been added, which serves an additional 1,200 patrons. Unreal—watching cars backed up for miles while next to the complex waiting patrons (many chattering in Serbian) engage in fun-spirited bocce ball games.
This author loves the side dishes of beans and rice, ensaladas, and the Puerto Rican batter on the fish at the United Community Center’s Café el Sol (1028 S. 9th St., 414/384-3100, $9).
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition