Vegetarian and Health Foods
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
Many restaurants have vegetarian-friendly food—vegan-friendly is another matter. Check www.vegmadison.com for more. What yours truly does is grab a lunch to go from the Willy St. Co-op (1221 Williamson St., 608/251-6776, 8 a.m.–9 p.m. daily), which is technically on the Near East side.
A new entry for this edition is a five-minute drive east from the co-op. At the Green Owl Café (1970 Atwood Ave., 608/285-5290, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Tues.–Sat., till 3 p.m. Sun., $5–10) you’ll find only vegan and vegetarian dishes; the soups are worth the trip, as are the faux-meat sandwiches.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition