Swimmers will find eight city-run indoor pools around town (www.ci.seattle.wa.us/parks):
- 1417 N.W. 67th St., 206/684-4094
- 7201 E. Green Lake Dr. N, 206/684-4961
- Helene Madison
- 13401 Meridian Ave. N, 206/684-4979
- 10515 35th Ave. NE, 206/684-4989
- Medgar Evers
- 500 23rd Ave., 206/684-4766
- Queen Anne
- 1920 1st Ave. W, 206/386-4282
- Rainier Beach
- 8825 Rainier Ave. S, 206/386-1944
- 2801 S.W. Thistle St., 206/684-7440
The very popular outdoor Colman Pool (8603 Fauntleroy Way SW, 206/684-7494) is open summers only for saltwater bathing. The pools at Evans, Queen Anne, and Southwest have saunas, and the Ballard and Southwest pools have hot tubs.
Green Lake is a favorite summertime swimming hole, but the water gets a bit rank by the end of the season with algae (lots of nutrients from all the duck and goose poop). Other beaches with lifeguards in the summer include Madison Park, Madrona Park, Magnuson Park, Matthews Beach, Mount Baker Park, Pritchard Beach, and Seward Park. You can also enjoy Lake Washington from numerous Eastside parks in Kirkland and Bellevue.
© Ericka Chickowski from Moon Washington, 8th edition