W. T. Preston
Remnants of earlier days are scattered throughout Anacortes, including the historic sternwheeler W. T. Preston—now a National Historic Landmark—on display at 7th Street and R Avenue next to the marina (360/293-1916, 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Sat.–Sun., $2 adults, $1 kids and seniors, free for kids under 8).
The Preston operated as a snagboat for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from 1914 till she it finally retired in the 1970s and given to the city of Anacortes; it was the last sternwheeler operating on Puget Sound. The Preston kept the waterways clear of debris by towing off snags, logs, and stumps that piled up against bridge supports. The boat underwent a $2 million restoration in 2001 and reopened to the public the following year.
Right next to the Preston is the 1911 Burlington Northern Railroad Depot at 7th and R, now home to the Depot Arts Center, plus the Anacortes Farmers Market on summer Saturdays.
© Ericka Chickowski from Moon Washington, 8th edition