Causland Park covers a city block at 8th Street and N Avenue; its colorful and playfully ornate mosaic walls and gazebo were built in 1920 with stones from area islands. Also here is a small amphitheater.
Nearby are a number of 1890s homes and buildings, many restored to their original splendor. The home owned and built by Amos and Anna Curtis Bowman in 1891 stands at 1815 8th Street; at 807 4th Street, an architect’s office is now housed in what was probably the finest bordello in the county in the 1890s.
The little church at 5th and R was built by its Presbyterian congregation in 1889; still in use is the Episcopal Church at 7th and M, built in 1896.
© Ericka Chickowski from Moon Washington, 8th edition