Granite Falls sits at the southwest end of the Mountain Loop Highway with Pilchuck Mountain offering a dramatic backdrop. The town began in 1889 as construction headquarters for the railroad route to the mines at Monte Cristo and grew up as a way station and center for logging and farming in the area.
Because of its location at the base of the Cascades, the town provides a jumping-off point for hikers, campers, cross-country skiers, and snowmobilers exploring the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.
© Ericka Chickowski from Moon Washington, 8th edition