The Spanish Governor’s Palace
Just around the corner from the San Fernando Cathedral is the circa 1749 Spanish Governor’s Palace (105 Military Plaza, 210/224-0601, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon.–Sat., 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Sun., $1.50 adults, $0.75 children 7–13) which served as the headquarters and residence of the presidio of San Antonio de Bexar’s captain, the ranking representative of the king of Spain in the absence of the governor.
The National Geographic Society has called the palace “the most beautiful building in San Antonio,” and although it doesn’t conjure up images of princes and turrets, the building’s three-foot-thick stuccoed stone walls are particularly striking, as are its eclectic mix of historic furniture and artifacts.
The palace’s highlight, by far, is the magnificent courtyard, a natural patio with a canopy of live oaks stretching over lush tropical plants. Chirping birds, a soothing fountain, and gentle breezes transport visitors to an oasis far away from the surrounding urban environment.
© Andy Rhodes from Moon Texas, 6th Edition