The early home of Tennessee’s first governor, John Sevier, is preserved at Marble Springs (1220 John Sevier Hwy., 865/573-5508, www.discoveret.org/jsma, Tues.–Sun. 10 a.m.–5 p.m., free, tours $4), five miles south of downtown Knoxville. Sevier received 640 acres at the foot of Bays Mountain for his service in the Revolutionary War, and he named the property Marble Springs because there were marble deposits and a large spring.
By 1792 Sevier established a farm residence at Marble Springs, although he and his family lived here only periodically. They also had a home in Knoxville.
After Sevier died in 1815, the property changed hands several times until the State of Tennessee bought it in 1941. It remains state-owned, and is operated by the Gov. John Sevier Memorial Association.
Over the years, the log home has been restored and several historically accurate outbuildings have been added. Workshops and living-history days are offered year-round.
© Susanna Henighan Potter from Moon Tennessee, 5th Edition