The Blount Mansion (200 W. Hill Ave., 865/525-2375, www.blountmansion.org, Tues.–Sat. 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 1–5 p.m., adults $5, children 6–17 $2.50) is Knoxville’s best historic attraction. First built between 1792 and 1796 by territorial governor William Blount, the “mansion” underwent no less than six periods of construction and alteration during its lifetime. The original structure was the first frame home in Knoxville and one of the first in the whole state.
The Cherokee called Blount’s home “the House with Many Glass Eyes” because of its large glass windows.
Significant events in Tennessee history took place at Blount Mansion. It is believed that it was here that governor William Blount wrote the first Tennessee constitution. The mansion also served as the second territorial capitol of the soon-to-be state.
Blount Mansion consists today of restored living quarters, office, kitchen, and gardens, as well as a visitors center that houses exhibits about Blount and his home. Guided tours depart at the top of every hour.
Blount Mansion is closed in January.
© Susanna Henighan Potter from Moon Tennessee, 5th Edition