Cross of the Martyrs
This white cross at the top of a hill overlooking downtown Santa Fe is a memorial to the Spanish settlers who were killed in the Pueblo Revolt. It’s actually a newer version of a first cross, raised in 1920 a little bit to the west, off Paseo de la Loma.
Cross of the Martyrs is at the end of a zigzagging paved path uphill, each switchback marked with a plaque explaining various points in the city’s history. It’s not a strenuous walk, and the bird’s-eye view from the hilltop is excellent.
Behind the cross is Old Fort Marcy Park, site of the remnants of the first American fort in the Southwest, built in 1847 by General Stephen Kearny and then abandoned in 1894.
The path up to the cross begins on Paseo de Peralta just east of Otero Street.
© Zora O'Neill from Moon Santa Fe, Taos & Albuquerque, 2nd edition