Bishop White House
309 Walnut St., 215/965-2305
HOURS: Open by tour only, times vary with season, call ahead
COST: Free; tickets available at Independence Visitor Center (6th and Market Sts.)
Reverend William White (1748–1836) was the first Episcopal Bishop of Pennsylvania and founder of the American Episcopal Church. For nearly 50 years he lived in this home conveniently located between the two churches where he served as rector—Christ Church and St. Peter’s Church.
Many prominent 18th-century figures, among them George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, visited the home.
Restored to look as it did in 1787, the elegant federal-style mansion offers a glimpse into the life of an upper-class 18th-century Philadelphia family. It contains White’s library, many of his personal items, and an early version of a flush toilet, or privy—one of the very first in a Philadelphia home.
Tours are limited to 10 people and offered on a first-come, first-served basis combined with a tour of the Todd House.
© Karrie Gavin from Moon Philadelphia, 1st Edition