6306 Germantown Ave., 215/438-1768
HOURS: Thurs.–Fri. 10 a.m.–4 p.m., Sat. 1–4 p.m.
with tours at 1:15, 2:15, and 3:15 p.m.
COST: $5 adult, $3 senior and child over 12, $2 child 12 and under
This National Historic Landmark was built for John Johnson 1765–1768 by Jacob Knorr, also responsible for many other Germantown area landmarks, including Cliveden.
The Johnson House was home to three generations of a Quaker family of abolitionists. In the 1850s, the main house and smaller properties on the grounds became an important station on the Underground Railroad.
The Johnsons also participated in the boycott of produce grown with slave labor and supported the Home for Infirmed and Aged Colored Persons, the Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons, and the Emlen Institute for the Benefit of Children of African and Indian Descent.
They were well connected with other prominent abolitionists including William Lloyd Garrison, Oliver Johnson, William Still, Lucretia Mott, Harriet Tubman, and John Greenleaf Whittier. On the 45-minute tour, you will learn about the history of the Johnson House and its inhabitants.
© Karrie Gavin from Moon Philadelphia, 1st Edition