More Chadds Ford Sights
The Chadds Ford Historical Society (1736 North Creek Rd., 610/388-7376, www.chaddsfordhistory.org, Mon.–Fri. 9 a.m.–2 p.m. year-round, Sat.–Sun. noon–5 p.m. in summer, free) has a small shop and exhibit room, and operates two nearby historic homes. The John Chads’ House, built in 1725, and the Barns-Brinton House, built in 1714, are open for tours (Sat.–Sun. 1–5 p.m. May–Sept., $5 adult, $3 child), offering a glimpse into the lives of early settlers to the area.
Just down the road is the Christian C. Sanderson Museum (1755 Creek Rd., 610/388-6545, www.sandersonmuseum.org, Sat.–Sun. 1–4:30 p.m. Mar.–Nov., free). Sanderson, born in 1882 in Montgomery County, was an avid collector of early Americana. His former home contains his 4,000-plus-item collection, including an autograph of Helen Keller and the only pastel drawing by Andrew Wyeth.
In nearby Glen Mills, the 1704 Newlin Grist Mill (Cheyney Rd. and Baltimore Pike, Glen Mills, 610/459-2359, www.newlingristmill.org, office open daily 9 a.m.–4 p.m., park open daily 8 a.m.–dusk) is the only operating 18th-century grist mill in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The 150-acre park is devoted to the history of the people who lived here and the techniques used to power the mill. The park is free, but there is a $5 admission charged for a tour of the historic buildings on-site. Fishing and picnic grounds are also available.
© Karrie Gavin from Moon Philadelphia, 1st Edition