- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
A peaceful, lakeside community, San Miguelito has an interesting Casa de Cultura and access to the island of El Boquete. You can also venture up various rivers, into local wetlands, or over to Solentiname.
In town, stay at Hotel Cocibolca (tel. 505/2552-8803, $12), a tranquil hardwood building of 16 rooms, all with shared bath, and incredible sunset views of Ometepe’s silhouette.
Just outside of town, the Finca el Cacao (tel. 505/8414-9927) offers a more bucolic stay, with cow-milking, crocodile-searching, monkey-watching, and similar, plus three meals a day for $35 per person.
Getting to San Miguelito
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition