Punta Jesús María
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
The long, sandy peninsula of Punta Jesús María is lovely for swimming and relaxing in the dry season, and submerges in the rainy season. The restaurant will give you a beer to take with you on your walk up the kilometer-long sandbar with waves lapping at both sides.
This is a good place to watch the sun set or enjoy a meal after a swim in the lake. Owner Joaquín Salazar may let you set up your tent on the beach and spend the night with the crickets.
The entrance is a long driveway just north of the town of Esquipulas that takes 15 minutes to walk. Take the bus and ask to get off at the picturesquely named Punta de la Paloma (Dove's Point).
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition