Isla de Quiste
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
Really just an islet, Quiste is overgrown and vacant, and a scant 100 meters long—a perfect place to pitch a tent and camp. Many Moyogalpa hotels will help you make arrangements with someone with a small boat.
Otherwise, in Charco Verde, Rubén Riveras will drop you off on the island in his motorboat and pick you up again later (or the next day) for about $15, depending on the number of travelers.
But you can just as easily strike a deal with any of the locals in the small communities to the north of Moyogalpa, like Barrio de los Pescadores.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition