Cinema and Theater
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
León’s small but modern cinema is in the Plaza Siglo Nuevo shopping center (from the cathedral, one block north, one block east, tel. 505/311-7080). Look for the cartelera (schedule) at shops around the city for show times; tickets cost $4.
El Teatro Municipal José de la Cruz Mena (one block south of the southwest corner of the central park, tel. 505/2311-1788) is the cultural heart of the city, open to the public for half-hour theater tours during the day with all kinds of events at night. Some big-name performers prefer León over Managua.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition