- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
Roughly 65 kilometers due west of Managua are a handful of easy-to-reach beaches, with facilities ranging from low-key, grungy hospedajes to all-out, all-inclusive resorts. In fact, the diversity along the coastline couldn’t be greater.
Pochomíl attracts the casual day-tripper and increasingly, surfers, while Montelimar is a pricey but pleasurable all-inclusive resort. Los Cardones is an ecofriendly offbeat lodge also popular with surfers and families that’s a bit harder to get to but worth the effort.
But when you hear about all the foreign real estate investment in Nicaragua, much of it is happening right here, so watch for big changes over the next decade unless Ortega scares away the foreigners again.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition