- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
From La Pólvora, continuing two kilometers down the dirt road to the right of the cemetery (by foot or bicycle, the track is too rough for cars at least half the year) will take you to the Nicaragua Butterfly Reserva (tel. 505/8895-3012, www.backyardnature.net/nbr, $6); take a bus to Km 50 near the police station, and it’s less than a kilometer—an easy walk—from there.
Tour the flight house and enjoy the ones flying around free outside on the lush grounds of an old fruit orchard.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition