El Parque Central
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
Estelí’s central park is a hub of mellow activity and a magnet for local characters. Buy an ice cream cone, kick back on a bench, and watch it all swirl by. The Iglesia de San Francisco was built in layers starting in 1823. It began as nothing more than a humble adobe chapel with a straw roof.
Rebuilt in 1889 to a grander scale and given a roof of clay tiles with a baroque facade, the church was later redesigned as a modern building, with stately columns, a neoclassic facade, and twin bell towers topped with crosses.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition