Gay and Lesbian Travelers
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
As of March 2008, consensual gay sex is no longer a criminal act in Nicaragua, though the Catholic church still forbids it and homophobia is rampant throughout Latin America. Even so, Nica society is generally tolerant of homosexuality.
The gay or lesbian traveler should feel neither threatened nor endangered in Nicaragua provided they maintain a modicum of discretion and choose their situations wisely. Managua and Granada have a few openly gay clubs and gay-friendly hotels.
Elsewhere same-sex couples may find local gay communities that will help orient them to tolerant clubs and bars.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition