- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
La Costeña (tel. 505/2263-2142, 505/2263-2143, or 505/2263-2144, reservacion [at] lacostena [dot] com [dot] ni, www.lacostena.com.ni) is Nicaragua’s sole domestic airline, whose humble fleet of seven small craft fly between Managua and the Atlantic coast, Mining Triangle, Puerto Cabezas, Waspám, Bluefields, Corn Island, and San Carlos.
Seats are limited on the 12-passenger twin-prop Cessna Grand Caravans (they have one 40-passenger Short 360 aircraft as well), and cost about $80 one-way, $120–160 round-trip.
It is almost imperative that you reserve your flight before arriving in Nicaragua; this has been difficult in the past, but La Costeña’s new online booking system will help matters.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition