Historic Richmond Town
Richmond Town (441 Clarke Ave., at Patrick’s Pl., 718/351-1611, www.historicrichmondtown.org, 1–5 p.m. Wed.–Sun., adults $5, seniors $4, children 5–17 $3.50), a 30-acre complex filled with 29 historic buildings, 7 of which are open to the public. Most have been moved here from elsewhere on the island, and they line up neatly along several streets that come alive in summer with craftspeople and guides in period dress.
Richmond Town sits on the site of an early Dutch settlement and interprets three centuries of daily life. The oldest building is the 1695 Voorlezer’s House (a voorlezer was a lay minister), one of the newest is the New Dorp Railroad Station. Other interesting buildings include a two-story jail, tinsmith shop, general store, and carriage “manufactory.”
From the ferry terminal, take the S74 bus; the ride takes 30–40 minutes.
© Avalon Travel and Sascha Zuger from Moon New York State, 5th Edition