Historic St. Mark’s Church (131 E. 10th St., at 2nd Ave., 212/674-6377, http://stmarksbowery.org, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Mon.–Fri., 9 a.m.–1 p.m. Sun.) stands near the former site of Peter Stuyvesant’s farm. The church is a hodgepodge of architectural styles, made up of a 1799 base, an 1828 Greek Revival steeple, and an 1854 cast-iron Italianate porch. Buried in the bricked-in graveyard surrounding the church is “Petrus Stuyvesant” himself, the last and most colorful of the Dutch governors.
© Avalon Travel and Sascha Zuger from Moon New York State, 5th Edition