- South Dakota
- The state of South Dakota is determined to increase tourism and this website is a great overview of the attractions, history, and culture of the state.
- Black Hills and Badlands
- This site offers a lot of the same information as the South Dakota tourism site (www.travelsd.com), but also serves as a central reservation service for its members. Just be aware that not all accommodations are listed.
- Central Reservations
- Listings of special package deals put together by local attractions, lodging, and restaurants. Several special interest tours include fly-fishing, Native American culture, and paleontology.
- Black Hills National Forest
- A great source of information about National Forest recreation areas and campground, as well as trail maps, and information about the flora and fauna of the Black Hills.
- South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks
- Make state campground reservations, find out about hunting and fishing licenses, and learn about South Dakota wildlife here. This is a great site with a lot of free publications, including hunting and fishing handbooks, campground maps, and trail guides.
- National Park Service
- Find a National Park site by state anywhere in the country. A search on South Dakota will allow you to select Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Mount Rushmore, the Badland, and the Minuteman Missile Site. Choosing any of these selections will bring you to sites with all kinds of information about the history, ecology, and recreational opportunities of the parks.
- Great Outdoor Resource Page
- A cornucopia of information about recreation around the world. You can search by state or by activity, find guides, learn about gear, and even make flight reservations from this site.
- United States Geological Survey
- Look for topographical maps of anywhere in the United States. Buy maps online. Research the natural sciences including biology, geology, and geography. Download USGS publications. Do an advanced search on publications and input South Dakota. You’ll find everything and more about minerals in the state. Take a look at the social media tab and follow the USGS on Facebook or Twitter. Download USGS wallpapers.
- South Dakota Magazine
- A great bimonthly magazine with searchable archives online. If you are interested in specific topic or community, download the full index of articles and then order back issues. A great resource for researchers and writers.
- Rapid City Journal
- The only daily newspaper in the region has a good online calendar of events, some restaurant reviews (check under entertainment), and information on book signings, art galleries, and shows. This site will give you some great ideas for joining in on local cultural events and entertainment.
© Laural A. Bidwell from Moon Mount Rushmore & the Black Hills, 1st Edition