University of Montana–Western
The 34-acre State Normal School, established to train teachers for Montana’s classrooms, was established in Dillon in 1893. The original structure, added to in 1907, forms Old Main, an imposing and distinctive brick edifice incorporating eclectic design elements including Gothic windows and Queen Anne towers.
Recent economic circumscriptions by the state Board of Regents have forced the college to affiliate with the University of Montana in Missoula. UM–Western (710 S. Atlantic St., 406/683-7011) specializes in training prospective teachers for Montana’s rural schools, and it also hosts many Elderhostel programs.
© W.C. McRae & Judy Jewell from Moon Montana, 7th Edition