Whitefish Point Light Station
Whitefish Point first beamed a warning light in 1849, and has done so ever since, making it the oldest operating light station on all of Lake Superior. Marking the bay’s entry, the Whitefish Point Light Station is a utilitarian-looking 80-foot steel structure supported by a framework of steel girders. Though it looks relatively modern, the light actually dates to 1902.
The beefy design was considered an extraordinary engineering experiment at the time, but one deemed necessary to withstand the gales that frequently batter this exposed landscape. It was automated in 1970 and continues to do yeoman’s duty.
by Laura Martone from Moon Michigan, 3rd Edition, © Avalon Travel