Arts and Leisure
Nationally renowned museums, concentrated gallery districts, annual festivals, and a state-of-the-art performing-arts venue have helped make Kansas City a regional arts and culture leader filled with options for those who want to explore the creative side of the city.
In the midst of downtown redevelopment, public art installations add vibrancy and life to city streets. Eclectic gallery districts are the nucleus of Kansas City’s creative community, and the monthly First Fridays gallery crawl is one of the most consistently attended events in the city.
On stage, Kansas City’s dancers, musicians, and performers exude a passion and talent that reflects a devotion to local arts. And whether you attend the Kansas City Literary Festival or the must-see American Royal, Kansas City hosts festivals throughout the year that are great ways to truly feel the pulse of the city.
A large number of lush green spaces, both in urban areas and in the suburbs, encourage walking, jogging, or simply spending time outside. Many parks also reflect local history, like Swope Park, named for one of the leaders in Kansas City’s parks and boulevard movement that transformed the city in the early 1900s.
If you’re eager for a new way to explore the city, numerous walking tours showcase architecture, history, hauntings, and even gangsters in entertaining, interactive environments.
- Best Local Art: Arts Incubator
- Best Festival: The American Royal
- Best Art Splurge: The Plaza Art Fair
- Best Way to Explore Downtown: First Fridays
- Best Place to Picnic: Loose Park
- Best Tours: Historic Kansas City Foundation
- Best Architectural Icon: The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
- Best City Celebrations: Irish Fest and the St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- Best Places for Family Fun: Oceans of Fun and Worlds of Fun
© Katy Ryan from Moon Kansas City, 1st Edition