Iglesia de San Francisco
Southwest on 1a Avenida Sur, the church of San Francisco (8 a.m.–6 p.m. daily) is one of Antigua’s oldest, dating to 1579. It once harbored a hospital, school, printing press, and monastery, among other things.
Its main claim to fame nowadays is the tomb of Central America’s first saint, Hermano Pedro de San José de Betancourt, a Franciscan monk who came to Antigua from the Canary Islands and founded the Hospital de Belén. He is credited with miraculous healings.
The Museo del Hermano Pedro (8 a.m.–5 p.m., $0.50) is found on the south side of the church along with the ruins of the adjacent monastery. It houses church relics and some of Hermano Pedro’s well-preserved personal belongings.
© Al Argueta from Moon Guatemala, 3rd Edition. Photos © Al Argueta www.alargueta.com