Mercado de Higüey
- Where to Go
- The Best of the Dominican Republic
- A Nature Lover’s Dominican Trek
- The Sexiest Dominican Beaches
- Historical Dominican Road Trip
- A Dominican Culture Tour
- Carnaval and Its Masks
- Planning Your Dominican Wedding
- Dominican Adventures
- Golfing the Dominican Republic
- Dominican Music and Dance
- La Ruta del Mango
- Day-Tripping in Monte Plata
- The Best Small Resorts
Higüey is the center of the Southeast’s very fertile agricultural region. Why go to a grocery store when this is the place to shop for avocados the size of a toddler’s head? The produce of this outdoor market (Av. La Libertad, between Guerrero del Rosario and Las Carreras, Mon.–Sat. 8 a.m.–5 p.m.) is overflowing and the crowd is buzzing with life.
This is a great way to experience zippy Higüey life with the locals and buy fresh fruit and vegetables at very low cost, all while supporting the local farmers and economy.
There are many snack and lunch stands at the major intersections. You can get treats like pastelitos (a fried, meat-filled puff pastry), sweets, freshly squeezed fruit juices, sandwiches, and cold beverages.
© Ana Chavier Caamaño from Moon Dominican Republic, 4th edition