Plaza Serafín Sánchez
The Sancti Spíritus’s modest Plaza Serafín Sánchez was laid out in 1522 and named for Serafín Sánchez, a homegrown general in the War of Independence. It has none of the charm or grandeur of main plazas elsewhere in Cuba, although it is surrounded by neoclassical buildings, including the impressive biblioteca (library) on the west side and the Teatro Principal on the south side.
The Museo Provincial General (tel. 041/32-7435, Mon.–Thurs. and Sat. 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 8 a.m.–noon, CUC1), next to the library, is full of antiques and has exhibits on local history, sport, music, and more.
The Museo de Historia Natural (Máximo Gómez Sur #2, tel. 041/32-6365, Mon.–Thurs. and Sat. 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 8 a.m.–noon, CUC1), half a block south, has a motley collection of stuffed beasts, plus insects, seashells, and more.
To the northeast, Plaza Serafín Sánchez extends one block along Independencia and opens into a tiny square with a statue of local hero Judas Martínez Moles (1861–1915). South of the park, Independencia is pedestrian-only for two blocks and is lined with shops.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Cuba, 5th Edition